Ellen has been married for around a year to the perfect guy, Andy. He's thoughtful, cute and even wealthy and on top of all this, his whole family loves her. But when Ellen bumps into her old flame, Leo, she starts doubting her marriage and the life they've built together and pondering on the question what if..
When Leo calls her and asks her to do an assignement with him Ellen finds herself agreeing, all the while knowing that she's getting herself into deep waters by doing so.
Emily Giffin's novel is both heartwarming and bittersweet. I'm sure many readers will find that Ellen is very easy to relate to in her journey to discover she wants. Ellen analyzes everything to the core, making it quite an emotional book - she goes from lust to desperation and back again. I found both Andy and Leo attractive in their own ways and could see why Ellen needed to find closure. And frankly, I did feel that the life she'd settled into sounded a bit boring.
The story is very predictable but Giffin writes in such a way that she still managed to keep my interest throughout. Andy's family seemed a bit too perfect in my opinion and I kept thinking how sad it was that she was questioning the marriage only after being married for such a short while. I'm not sure I can recommend this as a light summer read because it can get tiresome living throughout Ellen's struggle and frustration. But saying that, I'd happily read more by Giffin!
6 months ago

4 comments:
I can tolerate predictability if the writing is strong enough (which sounds like the case here).
I wonder if I'd enjoy this. I don't mind the predictable sometimes, as long as the story keeps me interested.
Great review.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/
I have this one but I haven't read it yet. I think predictable is sometimes okay. It depends how well the story is written. Great review! I'm now a follower of your blog. I've visited before but never looked around. I think we have a lot of similar tastes in books.
Thanks for the review! I have this book in my TBR pile.
Post a Comment