Thursday, January 21, 2010

Out of Breath - Julie Myerson


Oh. Wow. Those are my first thoughts after finishing Out of Breath by Julie Myerson! I haven't read any books by Myerson before but after this I cannot wait for more. Out of Breath is continuing my path with books filled with childhood sadness and trauma.

Flynn is a thirteen-year-old girl who lives with her older brother Sam, baby sister and mom. The children's father has a new family which keeps him busy, too busy to hang out with Flynn and her siblings. Flynn's brother Sam lives for only himself and does whatever pleases him and their mom is just trying to keep the strings together.

One evening Flynn notices a beautiful boy in their garden, Alex. She is immediately drawn to him and soon finds out that he has run away with his friends - Diana, a teenage mom to a newborn baby boy and Mouse, a six year old. The runaways are all traumatized in their own way. When Sam gets in trouble, Flynn decides to run away with him and they join Alex on a mysterious and mystical journey.

There is something magical and delicate about Myerson's writing. I really liked Flynn and felt that Myerson manages to beautifully capture the moment Flynn is living - not a child neither an adult. The story reminded me of Blyton's Famous Five but with an underlying dark element. Out of Breath truly had me spellbound till the very end.

Have you read any books by Myerson? There seem to be quite a few at the library which I'm thinking of borrowing. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not familiar with Myerson's work, but Out of Breath sounds fantastic!

bermudaonion said...

I've been trying to comment on your Made in the U.S.A post and it won't work for me.

Mrs Suvi said...

How strange!! I have no idea why.. this post worked okay?!