Saturday, April 3, 2010

Twenties Girl - Sophie Kinsella

This is my first book for the Orbis Terrarum reading challenge. For this challenge, those who take part, read books by authors from all around the world. Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella is my choice for United Kingdom since Kinsella was born in London.

Lara is a twenty-something trying to get along with her life when suddenly her great aunt Sadie appears to her all donned up in 1920's attire. The only problem with this is that Sadie has just died at the age of 105, which means that Lara must be seeing a ghost.. Sadie is unable to rest without her special necklace and she's determined to get Lara to help her find it.

I have read all of Kinsella's books, so obviously I was not going to miss this one. I was quite dissapointed with Shopaholic & Baby - the Becky Brandon story just wasn't funny to me anymore in the same way as the first books of the series. 

But saying that, I have now rekindled my trust in Kinsella as a great chick-lit storyteller! I absolutely adored Twenties Girl. Lara is easy to like and you can't but love Sadie. The book made me laugh hysterically at times - especially the dancing in the bar part (for those of you who have read the book, maybe you remember it) - and it tugged my heartstrings enough to make me cry. Twenties Girl is an easy light read, chick-lit at it's best.

The book also makes you think about the way our Western society treats it's senior citizens. Good social security should not mean leaving the elderly to die alone, forgotten. Each one of us deserves respect for the life that we've lived.

If you're interested in Sophie Kinsella, she has a cute website here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't this book a good one? It was one of my top books for 2009. I hope that more people will read it as it is quite humorous, but has some serious undertones. Thanks for sharing!

bermudaonion said...

I'm so glad to see this is good. I bought it when our Borders Express went out of business. I need to hurry up and read it so I can pass it on to my mom - she's a huge Kinsella fan.

Alice said...

I couldn't stand the Shopaholic series and didn't attempt to read it as well. But I've read Shopaholic & Baby and quite enjoyed it. I've got this book in my TBR and hope to get to it soon. Thanks for the review!

The Bookworm said...

I've heard such good things about this one, I need to read it. Great review :)
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I have Twenties Girl sitting on my nightstand from the library. I grabbed it because it was Sopie Kinsella, but after reading the summary, the premise seemed silly to me. Your review has convinced me to give it another chance. Thanks!

Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I really enjoyed Twenties Girl. I didn't expect much and I really liked it.

Mrs Suvi said...

Kay: I know, I love the way it's funny but also serious. How great to hear it was one of your top 2009 books!
bermudaonion: I'm sure your mom will love it if she likes Kinsella :)
Alice: I can imagine why you didn't love the Shopahlic series, the last books were a bit too much for me as well!
Nadia: Let me know if you get a chance to read this one.
Elizabeth: I can't wait to hear what you thought!
Jennifer: I think I had the same feelings as you when I started the book, but in the end it was so enjoyable :)

Thanks to all for stopping by!