Sunday, March 21, 2010

Johannesburg, South Africa

I was in Johannesburg for one week right after Nairobi. It was a work trip and I absolutely fell in love with Johannesburg and hope to go back to South Africa to see more of the country sometime for a holiday.


I visited five children's homes in Johannesburg. Look at the pretty bees on the walls!


If you want to learn more about the cultures and traditions of South Africa, then a visit to Lesedi Culture Village could be the thing. I especially enjoyed the show they put on with vibrant dancing and music - and got to participate in the end as well for a bit of dancing myself :) We also loved the lunch where we had the chance to taste exotic dishes like crocodile and ostrich meat!


This beautiful scenery is from Pretoria, which is about one hours drive from Johannesburg.


The 2010 FIFA World Cup is hosted by South Africa this summer. Here (behind the van) you can see the Soccer City Stadium which will be the main venue for the tournament. The games are a major thing in Jo'burg and everyone is excitedly awaiting 11th June when it all begins! Till then, South Africans have "Football Fridays" when they wear soccer shirts to work inoder to show their support for the South African team and the games. I'm hoping success for South Africa!


Soweto is a township on the outskirts of Johannesburg where Soccer City is actually located. Soweto is famous for it's history and role in the struggle against apartheid. It's one of the major tourist attractions in South Africa. In Soweto, you'll find luxury mansions with BMW's parked in the yards and behind the corner there are people living in tin shanties. The area has been developed a lot and the government has built (and is still building) new modern housing for those still living in makeshift tin houses.


Lion cubs playing in Lion Park. You can pet the cubs although be careful, they might want to play!


A tranquil view in the garden of a lovely restaurant. We sat in the garden for lunch and all around there were small parties going on - a hen party and two baby showers to name a few. I wish we had such places in Finland, although with our winter and unpredictable summer, I guess it wouldn't be such a hit..

If you ever have the chance to go to South Africa - don't hestitate - take the leap and open your heart to this wonderful country!

3 comments:

Alice said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of your trip. The lion cubs are so cute! They look very playful. :D

DCMetroreader said...

I so want to pet the lion cubs!

I second Alice's comment -- thanks so much for sharing what a beautiful country SA is!

Mrs Suvi said...

Thanks to you both for stopping by! :)
Alice: Ooh yes the cubs are cute and they were really playful - they started nibbling on a man's trouserlegs - I was a bit scared of them after that (I was only wearing a skirt)..
DCMEtroreader: And imagine, that Johannesburg is certainly not known for it's beauty, apparently Cape Town is even better!