Friday, March 5, 2010

Nairobi - please help the children

Karibu!

I'm so sorry I haven't had any time to blog OR to comment on other peoples blogs since I've left for Nairobi, Kenya. I'm here for work and I've been having such an amazing and emotional experience that it's difficult to blog about it, because when I write it, it just seems so bland.

This trip has truly been one of hope and despair alternating. There are so many children in this beautiful country who need help. Because of this I've decided to dedicate this post to one of the projects I've been getting to know in Nairobi.

One of the largest slums in Africa is located in Kibera, five kilometers from the center of Nairobi. The population is estimated to be as much as 1.2 million. On Wednesday we drove through the slum to visit Mashimoni Squatter's School. The school is absolutely amazing - it is an oasis in a desparate place.

The ride to the school was really bumpy because there are no proper roads in Kibera. The slum consists of makeshift houses which have been turned into tailors, HIV clinics, homes, hotels, shops, etc. When we got inside the school gates, it was like another world - peaceful.

In 2007 the old Mashimoni school's mud buildings were recontructed and now the school is absolutely wonderful. Only one old building remains and it serves as the staff building. In addition to this the draining system was constructed which means that the yard isn't a mess of mud anymore after heavy rain.

The slum around the school
One of the old buildings which now serves as a staff building

The library
Playing in the yard
Classroom
The kitchen

When we visited the kitchen the head teacher showed us the leftover food and told us that the children take this food to their brothers and sisters to ensure that they get fed because there is no food at home.

The children who go to this school are able to get breakfast and lunch which is not something they take for granted. In addition to this they get an education which can help them get out of the slum later on in life. Please take a look at this website http://www.kenyachildrenshome.org.uk/mashimoni.html and consider supporting one of the Mashimoni children. These children really appreciate the fact that they can go to school which is something our western children really don't appreciate. The Mashimoni kids need our help to be able to continue their schooling and a better future!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

What an amazing trip you are on. The school looks great but the slums surrounding it are heatbreaking.

Alice said...

Thanks for sharing about this, Pinkilili. You take very good photographs. God bless you for what you're doing there!

DCMetroreader said...

Thank you for sharing your trip with us! Please post more when you can.

Luanne said...

Wow.....