I grabbed this book on a whim from the library, hoping for a light, summery read.
From Bookdepository:
Their holiday brochure said 18-30 ...But they've just turned 35. After ten years together Charlie Mansell has been dumped by his live-in girlfriend, Sarah. All he wants to do is wallow in misery, but mates Andy and Tom have a better idea: a week of sun, sea and souvlaki in Malia, party capital of the Greek islands. But Charlie and his mates aren't eighteen any more. Or even under thirty. And it shows. It isn't the cheap beer, the late nights or even the fast-food that's the problem. It's girls. And life. And most of all ...each other. WISH YOU WERE HERE is a heart-warming, funny and wise tale about love and friendship and how seven days in the sun can change your life forever.
My thoughts:
I enjoyed the book and it certainly was a light summer read, just perfect for the beach - after all, it's about a holiday. I couldn't help thinking that the book was just like chick-lit but with guys as the main characters.
I liked Charlie the best, he's a very sympathetic and real but I did find him quite soppy. All the friends are opposites of each other and each have their own dilemmas to deal with. I felt that Andy was extremely irritating and obnoxious and I wouldn't put up with him for even a day.
The book is a fast and entertaining read although the outcome is quite predictable. Reading the book made me want to go on holiday but the thought of going to a place (when you're over 30) which is targeted at the 18-year old crowd sounds ghastly and absolutely nightmarish. I can't really imagine why anyone would want to do that or even go to a holiday destination where the main reson for being there is to party. I guess the guys - at least Andy - want to recapture their youth but what will come of that.. Find out for yourself!
5 months ago

2 comments:
I don't see how that's a problem for someone over 30 to be holidaying at a location targeted for the younger crowd... Unless of course, there is a specific sign that states age group and requires ID checks. And if the person going can handle it, why not? LOL
Alice: Have you seen the reality tv shows of British youngsters going to places like Spain or Crete for holiday? Maybe you haven't.. because it's really terrible. They drink from morning till night and strip naked in the middle of the street, puke all over, do stupid things drunk, etc. This is why it wouldn't appeal to me at least :) But I'm sure someone over 30 CAN handle it, heheh!
Post a Comment