Sunday, May 30, 2010

Precious by Sapphire

Precious by Sapphire is also known as Push. The book is about Precious, a sixteen-year-old girl. She lives with her abusive mother in Harlem and is pregnant for the second time by her father. Her first baby who she had when she was 12 years old has Down Syndrome and is cared for by Precious' grandmother. The book is Precious' journal which is quite an achievement because when the story starts, she's illiterate! Precious is suspended out of school for being pregnant but fortunately get's a second chance at schooling through a special program called Each One Teach One. With the guidance of a inspirational teacher, Precious starts learning to read and write AND makes friends for the first time in her life.

The book deals with serious issues like poverty, incest, rape, HIV/AIDS, teen pregnancy and education. As you can imagine, it's not an easy book to read and I have to admit I felt quite depressed once I'd finished it. I was planning to watch the movie but since the book was so intense that I don't think I can watch the movie anymore!

Precious herself is a wonderful and strong character. She's been through so much but still has the will to fight and make something of her life. The book isn't entirely bleak - there's a hopeful aura around the story. It took a while to get used to the way Precious writes because her spelling isn't very good and she writes phonetically. Saying that, I wouldn't have it any other way, it's what makes the journal so special and moving!

I heard that this book has recieved reviews where reviewers have said that the story is unrealistic. I'm saddened to say, I did not find it unrealistic at all. What Precious goes through is happening as I write this. The horrific fact is that there are children in this world who have to live through similar experiences everyday and even though it's an ugly truth, it's something we have to wake up to.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Thanks for the review, Pinkilili. I'm always moved to read books like these. I will keep in this mind and get it if I see at the bookstores.