Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Take Someone Like Me - Jayne Buxton

Libby has a lovely life with three daughters, an adoring husband and good friends. But it seems that Libby has lost herself in all the domestic chores she needs to do in order to keep things and her family life going smoothly. Libby's life changes when she starts actively taking part in an enviromental group with her youngest daughter. She slowly starts finding herself and maybe something even more..

Take Someone like Me by Jayne Buxton has fun characters, Libby herself, her youngest daughter Ella - who is quite a fanatic on enviromental issues and her oldest, very teenage daughter Phoebe.

What I found quite annoying about this book was how everyone was so unaware on how to preserve the enviroment. In Finland we were taught these things in school (and I was in school EONS ago), so I felt that Libby's family was extremely ignorant for not knowing that taking a short shower is more enviromentally friendly than taking a bath or that one should recycle! After getting over my initial annoyance, I was able to enjoy the book and think of the saying better late than never!

Take Someone like Me is a light read, quite enjoyable but nothing special. I bought it for my airport/airplane reading since I can't read anything too heavy on trips. I thought I'd finish this on my flight but didn't manage to till now, so you can imagine that it wasn't a book one can't put down...

3 comments:

Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I haven't heard of this one. I'm not sure if i'd enjoy it. The cover is beautiful though.

Alice said...

Libby, Ella and Phoebe sound like fun people in the book. I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

If I'm on a trip, I usually pack light reading as well and that includes thrillers because the pages just keep turning and before you know it--tah dah!--the book is finished.

One thing I like doing is buy "heavy" books (I mean books with deep topics) at the airport bookstores on my return flight. :D

Mrs Suvi said...

Jennifer: You're right about the cover - that's why I picked it up!

Alice: Maybe I'll try a thriller next time :)