Anyway, the trip to Colombia was good, it's a beautiful country and these days it's safe for tourists - at least if you don't go wandering about to rural areas or dangerous parts of town. I was expecting something much worse, but the only precaution we took (besides not going to the dangerous areas) was to lock the car doors since there were a lot of traffic light vendors, and you never know..
The Colombian people are extremely friendly BUT most of the people don't speak English (even in hotels or the airport), so it's good to know some Spanish - thank goodness I learned some just before I left and of course I carried my Lonely Planet and dictionary everywhere.
Medellin was my most favourite place but Monserrate in Bogota is my second favourite for some peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of the pumping city. It's a mountain and you take the funicular or cable car to get up there.
I took loads of photos but here are a few snippets but I noticed that I don't have any views of Cali!!
Avianca, one of the airlines used for domestic flights.
The city of Medellin is so packed that they've started expanding onto the mountains
Views of Medellin after the rain
A hip restaurant in the area called Zona Rosa
The gorgeous pool at the Intercontinental in Medellin
A view from Monserrate, Bogota
Beautiful mountain views, Bogota
Wow - Bogota is huge!
Let me just mention that the shoe shopping is magical in Colombia! In the end I had six new pairs in my suitcase - so there shouldn't be any need for new summer shoes this year...
No comments:
Post a Comment