Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Escape


I have a facination with books on polygamy, so when I found Escape on the net, I could not resist ordering it. It's a true story written by Carolyn Jessop. Carolyn was born, brought up and married in the polygamist community of the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) in the US. This book is not a literary star but that is no reason to ignore the harrowing story. The first half of the book repeats itself at times but the end of the book is more consistent.

Life in the FLDS is not easy for a woman. Carolyn is assingned to be the fourth wife to a 52 year old man when she is 18 years old. It seems to me that the men in FLDS are happy to claim that polygamy is the will of God and use that as an excuse to marry young girls who they can use as sex slaves and opress/abuse as they like.

At first Carolyn believed the teachings of the FLDS and went along with the lifestyle but slowly she starts to question the things happening in the community and her own home. Her husband is one of the most powerful men in FLDS and in the inner circle. He marries more wives and Carolyn bears him eight children. Carolyn starts planning their escape but how will she be able to take eight brainwashed children into the world which they think is evil and bad?

I respect Carolyn for fighting FLDS and triumphing! Carolyn's oldest daughter's fate had me thinking a lot after finishing the book and I went on a googling frenzy trying to find out what had happened. The book is worth reading for the story itself and if you're not familiar with the FLDS it will open your eyes.

1 comment:

Kimberly Aardal said...

Stories like this are so intriguing. I like to read books like this since they are so illuminating about subjects that we normally don't think about. I'll check it out.