Sunday, April 25, 2010

My second Orbis Terrarum read - Sri Lanka

I recieved The Road from Elephant Pass by Nihal de Silva as a Christmas present from my lovely friend from Sri Lanka and I've been meaning to pick it up for ages. Now that I'm taking part in the Orbis Terrarum reading challenge, I had the perfect excuse to start reading this one instead of some other book in my TBR pile!

The book tells the story of two people on different sides of the war forced together on a journey of survival. A Sinhala army soldier and a Tamil Tiger have to make their way through the jungle to Colombo by foot, after the Tigers attack Elephant Pass.

The Road from Elephant Pass is written in a simple manner, so even if you're not familiar with Sri Lanka's ethnic conflict, you'll find it easy to follow. It also gives a glimpse at the two sides of the war and their interest. Don't be fooled to think that this is a war book though, quite far from it - there's love involved as well. In addition to this, the author Nihal de Silva was a nature lover and you can really see that in this book as he describes the jungle and the animals habiting there. What these scenes did to me was make me want to visit Sri Lanka and the National Parks there someday soon! Although I would not be any good at surviving in the jungle for more than a day trip..

1 comment:

Kristen said...

This sounds fascinating. I just recently read Not Quite Paradise about an American academic's time in Sri Lanka both before and after the tsunami. She discusses the ethnic conflict quite a bit and how it has altered Sri Lankan society. It would be interesting to read a novel about it and compare the two treatments.