Sunday, January 24, 2010

Made in the U.S.A. - Billie Letts


Made in the U.S.A. by Billie Letts once again continues my theme of neglected children. Lutie and Fate McFee have been abandoned by their drunkard father and have been living with his ex-girlfriend in a small town in South Dakota. Then one day, whilst shopping at Wal-Mart, their guardian keels over and dies.

Lutie panics - there is no way that she will go to a foster home. She takes her brother in tow and they run away to Las Vegas, a city with promise of success and riches.

I was quite apprehensive at first because on the cover you can see a circus in the background. For some reason I can't pinpoint, I dislike the circus and wasn't so sure I'd want to read anything to do with it. But thanks goodness I did, Billie Letts is my new hero! I absolutely loved this book.

Lutie is tough kid but she tries her best to protect her brother and comes out likeable anyway. Fate is sweet and smart and at first I was very annoyed with Lutie for not trying out a foster family for his sake -after all - they can't all be bad! Billie Letts lays down the bleak life Vegas offers the kids which leaves you heartbroken.

I found the Reading Group Guide at the end very insightful. Unfortunately the story of Lutie and Fate, homeless kids trying to get by on the streets, is not unique in the sense that it's harsh reality for 1.3 million young people in America. I highly recommend Made in the U.S.A.

4 comments:

Jennifer@ Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I read this book when it first came out and I really enjoyed it. I still love "Where the Heart Is."

DCMetroreader said...

I need to read this as it sounds like a wonderful story. Great review!

Mrs Suvi said...

Jennifer: I really have to read Where the Heart Is..
DCMetroreader: Thanks, I'd love to hear what you think of the book!

Luanne said...

I really enjoy Billie Letts' books