Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay is an extremely touching book. I was actually so engrossed by the story that I almost missed all my stops on my commute to work!
There are two pararell stories which eases the reading experience - one can take just so much pain at once! The main characters are Julia Jarmond, a modern-day American journalist who lives in Paris with her French husband and daughter and Sarah Starzynski, a 10 year old girl living in Paris with her mother, father and brother in 1942. Sarah's family are Jewish. The French police come to arrest them one night and Sarah locks her little brother in a cupboard to keep him safe while she and her parents are forced to leave. She promises to come and get him later. Julia starts investigating the horrors of Paris in 1942 for a piece she's writing and soon her life is interwined with Sarah's.
Sarah's Key is not easy to read because it's so painful. I'm sure the story will stay with me for a long time. Remember. Never forget.
5 months ago

3 comments:
I haven't heard of this previously, but this sounds great! Hope you got to work ok!
I have this in my pile to be read. It sounds very good. I enjoyed your review. It must be good if you almost missed your stops! Now that is a good book!
Hi DCMetroreader and Beth! I know, isn't it funny when sometimes the books just draw you in and you're not aware of what's going on around you? I love that! Thanks for stopping by :)
Post a Comment