The sight of sunlight reflecting on (clean) snow is quite magical. It's like there are millions of tiny diamonds sparkling in the snow! This is something we've been enjoying today since the sun was shining from a clear sky AND it was -16 C. I actually thought it was only -10 C, so when I was sledding with the kids in the morning, I was wondering why my nose felt like it was frozen and numb!! Imagine my shock when I heard it had been -16 C - for I am not one to enjoy such temperatures!!
I also had a wonderful cross country skiing day. I'm a really bad skier for a Finn, since I missed out on all those skiing years when living in Malaysia. Actually nowadays the winters are so warm in Southern Finland that kids don't learn winter sports properly anymore, but it was different in the 80's. Anyway, there were lots of people skiing on the ice on a nearby lake, enjoying the beautiful sunshine and fresh air. I even overtook some people (er..ok... they were quite elderly.. but still!).
The kids have been enjoying the snow and hubby his skiing, so this holiday has started nicely. One year we were here and on the first day our son started vomiting and it went on for the holiday, so that was an absolute disaster!
P.S. Light on snow is actually a lovely book by Anita Sherve (Shevre? can't recall..).
6 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment