Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Lounge suit

I'm always excited to recieve an invite to an embassy function but since it's not everyday I attend such functions, the dress codes have me puzzled. I've been to one Malaysian Embassy and one Royal Thai Embassy function and thankfully managed to dress correctly and not draw attention to myself with the wrong attire!

Last week I was honored to recieve an invite to celebrate South Africa's Freedom Day! The invitation states the dresscode to be Lounge suit/Traditional. Traditional is out since I have nothing of the sort, so Lounge suit it is. I googled lounge suit and tried to figure out what it could mean for us ladies. What would we do without the internet?!

The occasion starts at 7 pm so I'm not comfortable wearing my black business suit like I would if it started right after work (which means around 5 pm here). Also, since it's finally Spring in Finland I don't want to wear all black, for example a little black dress - we Finns wear so much black in the winter. So the conclusion was, like always in these situations, that I really don't have anything suitable in my wardrobe to wear.

Since I had some free time on Saturday, I took my bike and went to a nearby mall and had the easiest shopping experience of my life! I found the dress from the first store I went to. I also bought a bolero to go with it. Of course I checked out all the other stores as well but everything was too expensive! I owe my friend from work thanks because she suggested I go to River Company and check out what dresses they have!

I even found shoes but that was a separate shopping spree on Saturday evening :)

Here are sneak peeks at what I bought:

The cute dress and bolero


The gorgeous peek toe shoes


I had a wonderful idea about the jewelery I'd make for this dress but now it's too late to order the beads. We'll see what I come up with! For my bag, I'll just use my old DKNY clutch, which is looks quite boring but will do.

No comments: