I have finally caught up with my reading! All these books are very family oriented.Here is a book I can truly recommend. It is My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I read this in a week which is fast considering that I mostly read it on my commute to work. You won't want to put it down.
The story is very emotional, so it's not an easy read in that sense, it's actually quite painful, especially if you have kids yourself. It's about teenage Anna, who was concieved as a bone marrow match for her sister Kate, who suffers from leukemia. Her situation is observed through her thoughts and those of people close to her. What happens when Anna starts to take control of her life?
I've also completed The Adoption by Dave Hill. I won't rave about this book, it was too slowpaced for me. It's about a family who adopts their fourth child. It looks at the situation of each family memeber, so it's mostly about family life and parenthood.Then there's Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. I was really struggling with this book. I started it on the flight to Colombia in March and it took me this long to finish it. This is also a very slowpaced book and it's one of Oprah's Book Club books.
The story is about Sibyl, a midwife, who does a c-section on a mother who she believes dead in order to save her baby during a home birth. As you can imagine, the distraught relatives file a lawsuit and the book follows that through the eyes of Sibyl's daughter. The last 70 pages were really good but I wouldn't recommend a book that perks up at that stage.
No comments:
Post a Comment