Yesterday my daughter and I went to the movies to see The Lovely Bones (directed by Peter Jackson!). The movie is based on the book by Alice Sebold. I think this must be the first time that I can say that I loved the movie MORE than the book! Actually the truth is that I didn't really like the book, so I wasn't expecting too much from this movie, so it was actually a very pleasant suprise.
14-year old Susie Salmon is living the life of a typical teenager and looking forward to her first date. But instead of a date with the boy she likes, Susie is murdered by her neighbour. Susie's family spirals and each one handles the loss in different ways while Susie watches over them in the in-between, not wanting to let go.
The Lovely Bones is beautiful, spooky and sad all at the same time. The atmosphere is dreamy, just how one could imagine the in-between world between heaven and earth. The movie is about family, survival after tragedy and growing up. Mark Wahlberg is brilliant as Susie's dad and so is Susan Sarandon as the cool grandmother, but my favourite is Saoirse Ronan who plays Susie - she manages to capture being a teeanger and going through her pain and grief fantastically. I have to admit that I cried through this movie, to the huge embarassement of my daughter! :)
There are so many quotes I love from this movie so here's one for you:
"When my mother came to my room I realized that all of this time I had been waiting for her. I have been waiting so long and I was afraid that she wouldn't come. Nobody notices when we leave, I mean the moment when we really choose to go. At best he might feel the whisper or the wave of a whisper undulating down. My name is Salmon, like the fish."
- Susie Salmon , The Lovely Bones
I know this movie divides people, so I'd love to hear what you though - of both the movie AND book!

5 comments:
I read the book years ago and thought it was okay. I saw the movie and really liked it except for the scenes of the in-between world - they were a little over the top for me.
bermudaonion: I actually thought that the scenes you mentioned would be over the top for me as well, I usually don't go for that sort of thing! Maybe I was in the mood for weird?!! :)
Alice: maybe you'll have to rent the dvd!
I tried to read this book when it first came out. However, it was too much for me. I'd like to give the book another chance. I think i'll have to give the movie a try and watch it.
I think the movie was good, and maybe I'm going to read that book too one day!
Post a Comment