It's been a bit over a week since I left Kenya and now that I'm back in Finland surrounded by snow, it seems quite unbeliavable that I ever was there. I'm truly longing to go back to this wonderful country.
Karen Blixen Museum
We arrived in Nairobi on Tuesday morning. Since there wouldn't be a lot of free time during the trip, my boss and I decided to go to the Karen Blixen Museum after having a lovely breakfast at the hotel. I love the book Out of Africa, so it's always been my dream to see Karen Blixen's house. I'm happy to report that it was just as beautiful as I'd imagined!
We visited two children's homes in Nairobi which were like day and night in comparison. This is a picture of the really impressive one, Kenya Children's Home. They really take good care of the children. I like the way the older children live in houses with a house mother - they have the stability of a parent and siblings this way.
Saturday's Masai Market
The markets in Nairobi are a must. Although you have to keep your cool beause the minute we got to the market, the brokers started harrassing us. And we were there with a local!! It is very annoying because it's impossible to look at what you want to buy if someone is shouting at you to come and look at this and that. What you should do is tell the men that you will not do any business with them and then just try to lose them and find a lady who is selling her own stuff. It's not fair on the ladies who are selling that the men try to make a living off them without actually having anything to do with the merchandize!
A beautiful view of the Rift Valley
On the way to Soila Maasai Girls Rescue Centre in Suswa, we stopped to take in the view of the Rift Valley. What an astounding sight! Don't you love the way the clouds shadow the land?
Giraffes on the land of the Masai Mara
Suddenly, whilst driving along to Suswa, the driver swerved off the road and we were bumping along the plains. Soon enough we caught on - he'd spotted giraffes and wanted to take us closer to see them. I felt so lucky to see such beautiful animals in the wild. Soon enough, two Masai Mara guys came up to us saying that photographs weren't allowed, a ploy for money. Later we spotted two zebras playing but unfortunately I didn't manage to get a picture of that.
Since this was a work trip and free time was on the cards, there's still so much I didn't get to see in Nairobi. So I hope to be back soon!





1 comment:
Great post! Thanks so much for sharing! :)
Post a Comment