Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blood Sisters by Barbara and Stephanie Keating

Since I'm off to Nairobi next week, I wanted to read something to get into the feel of the country. I have read and loved Out of Africa by Karen Blixen and I Dreamed of Africa by Kuki Gallman many times, so I wanted to find something new to me. I opted for Blood Sisters by Barbara and Stephanie Keating because it was available at my library on short notice.

Blood Sisters tells the story of three girls from different backgrounds who live in Kenya with their families in the 1950s and 1960s. The book follows the girls from the age of 13 years, when they become friends in school, to 21 years old. As you can guess from the name of the book, the girls promise to become blood sisters and let nothing come in the way of their friendship. Life in Kenya changes and as the political situation becomes uncertain, keeping old friendships is not as easy as they thought.

The book is very long which made me weary in the beginning. But in the end I was wrapped up in the book and the pages were flying. The book describes Kenya beautifully and I can't wait to see it for myself! All in all, it was an enjoyable book but not as wonderful as the other two Kenya books I have loved. So, I would not re-read Blood Sisters. Apparently there is a sequel to this book which I might pick up sometime.

I have to admit that I am very facinated with the White Man's point of view of Africa but in the future it would be refreshing to find a book with a different perspective. Any ideas?

No comments: